A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Bubble wrap and shower mat

Some sink mats or shower mats have real interesting surfaces. This one I got from Bed, Bath and Beyond. You can use the whole mat, but I decided to cut off a part and use that as a stamp.


The original shower mat is transparent. I took this picture after I used it as a stamp. Besides this shower mat I used bubble wrap in 2 different sizes.




First I used the bubble wrap. Paint was applied with a brayer. After that I used the shower mat. This is how it turned out:



I hope you had fun with the stamping this month. Did I make it difficult for you to throw away potential stamping material?
The examples I showed you this month are by no means all the items you can stamp with. For instance potato mashers, grids, placemats. In other words, everything which is flat and has a nice pattern or texture can be used. And don't forget most of the stamps I talked about this month can be used not only with paint, but also with discharge, soy wax or thickened dye.

9 comments:

  1. Yes I have started looking at things with a new eye. Medicine wrappers - the bubble type, veggies of course - have you used okra? - and so on. I do have issues in sewing on painted fabric with skipped stitches and funny noises that cause me some concern. Still trying to find a way around it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, indeed! Now I'm reconciling downsizing with art hoarding! lol thank you. A great month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is difficult to find okra where I live. Skipped stitched can be caused by the thickness of the paint. Try next time a different brand of paint or a fabric medium like GAC

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you Wil for a busy month of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw heck, I never threw anything out anyway! But now........even the trash is scrutinized!

    Thanks for a great month!

    glen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the idea of cutting up the shower mat. It seems obvious...but! I never used mine for screen printing because it is too big for my set up.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this series. I looked forward to every installment and am sad to see it end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you all liked it-:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really enjoyed the month. i am patiently waiting for an injury to heal so i can indulge in some printing! Great month of posts!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.