A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, October 16, 2015

To Art Quilting and Beyond - Week 2/Part 5

Now back to our regularly scheduled challenge!

Bring out the bling!...and buttons and other bits.

My granddaughters were told they could pick out paint as well if they wanted to. Next time perhaps I'll be more specific. They picked out 3 colors in DynaFlow! My first thoughts were trying to figure out a way to put it on fabric and yet control it. Nothing really grabbed me down that road. Then I saw that the butterfly had enameled impressions on its wings! So....I painted them. Just what it needed!


Then there was the case of the HUGE earring! Made my ear lobes hurt just to look at it. But I loved the colors especially for this piece. So I took off the big "button" for the pierced post and then it was just what
I needed.  Added one of the metal frames with the animal print added and that took care of the top right corner!  Needless to say...circles abound in this addition.



One of the bracelets had bronze leaves on it...a lot of them. Just took off three and put them under the other metal frame with animal print. Fits in with the Autumn part quite well.



The direction of the pocket watch, washers and buttons is the arc indicating the butterfly taking off on its migration. And yes...LOTS of circles here!

And here is the finished piece! 

Autumn Migration


Next week another season. Here is the pile of stuff my little darlings picked out for me this week! This one might prove to be a real challenge





Oh and another surprise addition next week. It's kind of spacey!




4 comments:

  1. I like adding metal and odds and ends. Makes for a fun quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying this, I look forward to every new posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so glad you guys are enjoying this journey! I know I'm having a blast! And learning a lot along the way about my relationship with art quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.