A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, September 11, 2015

Print on paper then iron

In the next posts I’m going to show you prints that I did on paper then ironed onto fabric and prints where I have printed directly onto fabric.

Firstly the prints on to paper.

If you are using transfer paints then there isn’t any need to thicken the paint but if you are using disperse dyes then you will need to add some thickener to the dye solution.
I thickened my dye with Manutex F or Indalca but Pro Chemical and dye sell a thickener for disperse dyes.
I found that it was better to mix the thickener that I used with water first then add fresh dye to the thickener. You will need to mix the dye with a little hot water first so it is thoroughly dissolved.

The first sample shows a foam stamp used to print black spirals using transfer paint onto paper.




Thinking I would add a bit more colour I drew around the spirals with a blue transfer crayon then a cerise crayon         
I then placed the paper print side down onto a piece of polyester chiffon, covered the paper and fabric with a piece of baking parchment and carefully ironed the print onto the fabric. It is best to work slowly and systematically with the iron, keeping it moving the whole time and checking regularly to see if the print is transferring. You can do this by lifting one of the corners carefully to take a peek. Do take care as the fabric and paper can be quite hot.
Here is the result of the transfer.





For the next sample I used a piece of lino that I had carved. I used fuchsia thickened dye this time and printed onto some paper.




On the left is the print on paper and on the right the print on a piece of taffeta that was coloured yellow before I transferred the print.



You can see how the dull colour on the paper transfers into vibrant colour on the fabric.
Below is an image of the chiffon fabric on top of the lino printed fabric.



On Monday I will look equipment needed for printing directly onto fabric.








1 comment:

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.