A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Painting techniques day 15

Thermofax screens

Again I have two tutorial on thermofax screens. One is about what they are and how to use and care for them. The other is how to prepare photos for making a screens.

This is a screen about 10" tall that Lyric made for me from a photo I had taken, thresholded, and sent to her. I LOVE this image. There is nothing like a thermofax to give you fine details.


The screen with the "up" arrow so I don't accidentally print it upside down.


This is a Bondo blade which can be purchased in three sizes from the auto supply store for about $6.00


Make sure you have enough paint to cover the width and distance in ONE pull. Multiple pulls make blurry and thick images.



Wonderful detail.


Refer to the tutorial about the importance of keeping the pores in your screen open by washing thoroghly or soaking in water immediately. Don't forget to heat set.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm.... I was told to make about 5 passes with the squeegie, but then I learned using thickened dyes. Wonder if there is a difference between regular and thermofax screens, and thickened dyes vs fabric paints? I'll add that to my list of things to experiment with soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful print. Mine are buried under stencils. Time to get them back into action. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad for this information today! I'm about to order some screens, for the first time, and this will help me and my screen maker. Thanks, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous image. I tend to only use thickened dyes with my thermofax screens, mainly because I get lazy about washing them out!!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.