A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, September 19, 2014

Painting 'Gythion Glow' Part II - Scaling up

After preparing my 1/4 size samples for 'Thin Blue Line'  challenge , I was ready to scale up! The original inspiration was of boats moored at Gythion in Greece with the 'thin blue line' of hills in the background. I snipped sections out of the photograph to compress it down to a composition and proportions I was happy with and matched some of the colour in fabrics to insert as thin strips. Having to work to a fixed size of 30 x 120cm meant I had to use some maths and measuring to PLAN where I was going to insert them - not my usual style at all (normally I judge by eye and let things evolve)
 

I used the technique shown by Alison Schwabe - the strips are 3/4 inch wide and using a scant 1/4 inch seam allowance and careful adjusting and matching under the machine, can achieve gentle curves without using bias strips.
 
Then I started quilting( using the same fabric on the back although without the inserted strips means that if it all goes horribly wrong when painting, I get a second shot!) I used  Vandana variagated thread and a double or triple needle  managing to break 2 new double needles by not re-adjusting settings before inserting the needles. Next steps  were  quilting from the back with perle in the bobbin to emphasise the boat masts and some serious hand stitching


 Then I  taped it onto a board and painted it- with sharp intake of breath!  It worked , mainly because I'd learnt my lesson and erred on side of caution, working slowly and leaving some areas unpainted
 
 
 It was exhibited in several places and sold ( and apparently could have sold it several times over) It captures a particular time and place which is why I think it resonated with others. I still have the original watercolour done in  Greece and the 1/4 size sample.  

5 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous! I can see why many people wanted to buy it. You are a very talented artist. Thank you so much for sharing your process! I really learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous piece! You do so many wonderful and creative pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to se this piece. I hope the owner has in pride of place.

    Best wishes

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to work with a stunning result, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great lesson in being well prepped! wonderful

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.