A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Surface Design Round Robin

I have been surprised that I have gotten so little interest in the  Surface Design Round Robin.  One person from Europe wants to play and two from the United States.  I hope that more artists sign up before the April 30 deadline.

Anyway, my playgroup, FIVE, did their swap on Saturday. 
Here is my fabric that I swapped.  It started life as a drop cloth for some screen printing and then I used the end of some dye print paste to color it.  Nothing special.  I figured it could only go up from here.

This is Beth's piece that I took home.  Isn't it lovely?  Beth says she loves it.  Talk about the pressure to do something good to it!  Anyway, I have some ideas and we'll see if it makes it better or if I will need to resign from my playgroup.

3 comments:

  1. I have done a couple of Round Robins in the past, and found that they were very instructive and made me work outside my comfort zone to try techniques I hadn't used much before. There was some pressure... what if I do something and it "ruins" the fabric? That's part of the challenge... to think through what you are going to do, then take the plunge! I encourage anyone who hasn't done a Round Robin before to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too much pressure for me, I'd hate to screw up some fabric that someone was counting on me to do something wonderful with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What technique did Beth use? I like that it is so soft and dreamy without definitive scrunch lines.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.